TAG Treasury Team

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Shop of the Week: The Wish Forest & Whimsylandia

You may or may not be familiar with a “Visual Artist,” but you are about to be introduced to Amalia who describes herself as just that.  When you see her art work at The Wish Forest you will understand that her imagination and creativity are full of emotion and amazing stories and her dolls at Whimsylandia portray the same creativity.

Amalia tells us, in her own words,  about her where she was born and her education, “I spent my early childhood in Jakarta, Indonesia before I moved to the UK and grew up there. I went to The American College in London for a few semesters and transferred to Indonesia to get my Bachelor's Degree at Bandung Institute of Technology.”  She tells us, I've tried a number of things ever since I graduated from college. I worked in large companies as a graphic artist, only to realize a few years later that my true calling is to work solo as a visual artist.”
https://www.etsy.com/listing/86536331/signed-print-of-original-painting?ref=shop_home_active_20
Amalia has been married for 11 years to a wonderful, kind and patient man and they have 3 children that keep their lives very busy. 

We asked what inspires her work, “I am blessed to have been inspired by so many people and things throughout my life, but I took a huge leap and changed my course to work solo after reading a book called Through a Looking Glass. It was the first time I came across the works of master illustrator, Wayne Anderson, and the story of his life really moved me to follow his path.”
https://www.etsy.com/listing/173417559/free-shipping-original-pencil-drawing?ref=shop_home_active_4
When asked how she go her start on Etsy, she told us,”I first stumbled into Etsy when I was searching for artworks by some of my fellow artists in 2010. In Indonesia at that time, selling online was not yet a trend, and to see how some of these artists have grown from Etsy alone was amazing to me. So I did more research, made preparations and decided to open up my own shop in 2011.”
 
Her shop Whimsylandsia opened in 2013 and features sweet whimsical dolls.  As you wander through her shop you can almost hear the hoots and meows of her creations.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/207481324/wedding-gift-wedding-cake-topper?ref=shop_home_active_5

Amalia told us the best advice she has been given in life is,  "The more you give, the more you'll get in return."  We will end here, but please take some time to visit her shops and your heart will be touched by the talent of this amazing Artist.

 
Written by Alisann of Art by Alisann
Edited by Gail of Digital Expressions and Artful Papers


 

12 comments:

  1. I love Amalia's shops, and it's nice to get to know her better ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely universe, Whimsylandia !
    beautiful dolls and illustrations
    congrats for all that you do.
    ioana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amalia, I'm so very please to meet the talent behind the beautiful art in your shop. Your creations have such heart and soul. It's obvious that you are very passionate about creating beautiful pieces of art to adorn walls & adorable plushies for children.
    Congratulations on your success with your shop and blessings to your happy family,
    JoJo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amalia - so wonderful to learn about you and your journey through life!! You look wayyyy to young to have been married for 11 years with 3 kidlets!! :-) Your art and animals are creative and inspired!! I love the best advise you have ever been given - it is so true and so rewarding!! Continued luck in your Esty shops!! Kris - Lavender Quilts ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely to learn more of your story, Amalia! Your path has been so diverse and interesting. Your artwork shows your great emotional depth, especially in the eyes. Such wonderful talent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely biography of my talented friend and teammate, Amalia! I love reading more about your influences and artistic walk. Love from South Carolina! -- Cindy from GaffneyGirlStudio / Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to meet Amalia here in this interview. Love her artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to meet you Amelia. I LOVE your artwork and was all the more intrigued since I have been to Indonesia (Bali - not Jakarta - but still). Terima kasih for sharing.

    Semoga sukses,
    Mary-Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome article! Amelia, it's really nice to get to know her better :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amalia you are just as adorable as your creations! Thank you for sharing your story with us ♥

    ~Robin
    jarmfarm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this...I love you guys! TAGT is the best team EVER! XOXO

    ReplyDelete