TAG Treasury Team

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Shop of the Week; Jills Joy

Meet Jill owner of Jills Joy.  A mid-western girl who will always call Nebraska HOME!  Jill has been happily married to the same man for 30 years.  They have two grown sons.  And they enjoy spending time with their Australian Cattle Dog Mix, Valentine, who keeps them on their toes.

Jill was born in Nebraska and attended college there, but has made Missouri her home for half of her life.  Jill does not stand still for long.  Here is what she told us about her professional career, "I taught for a few years on elementary, middle school, and college levels, and I loved it, but found I would need a Master’s degree in order to make enough money to support myself.  While in grad school, I got a summer job as a historian doing research for the National Park Service.  That summer job blossomed into a 22-year career as a Park Service researcher, program manager, and Park Manager. During this time I pursued my studies of art during my spare time. I found it hard to choose a favorite medium… I love glass fusing, mosaic work, jewelry making, and collage; I also do metal work, paint silk, paint, and I’m learning to blow glass. I love to try new things!”

Impressive!  Here are previews of her beautiful and colorful mosaic art work:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/111085436/puppy-love-mosaic-rainbow-colors-red?ref=shop_home_active_7
Notice the inspirational saying on the side of the shoe.  Truly unique and created with artistic detail.

We told you she does not stand still for long so by the time she left the Park Service in 2001 her creative side had taken control.  She became a Certified Picture Framer, started teaching mosaics, jewelry making, collage making and other arts.  Nowadays she works part time in a framing gallery but, her primary focus is her Etsy shop and making new art pieces daily.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/163940022/halloween-thanksgiving-decor-pumpkin?ref=shop_home_active_4
Every artist has something that inspires them and Jill told us about what inspires her "I read a lot and I write a lot.  You will see words and songs as a constant inspiration in my jewelry.  As for my mosaics the line I sell is an opportunity to just get crazy!  I love to take a technique that's at least a couple thousand years old and make it my own.  I think you'll see a combination of Marc Chagall, Pablo Picasso and Gustav Klimt in my work.  When I have time, I also make mosaics based on the masters, such as Emilie in Glass which is based on Klimt's Portrait of Emilie Floge.  In general I have always been one to see a thing and imagine it differently.  My three dimensional mosaics are example of found objects to mosaic a different life."   

You will not find the ordinary in this wonderful Etsy shop, but unique beautifully created pieces of art and jewelry.

Jill ended our interview with these inspiring words “The Joy is in the Journey.  Find the Joy.  See the Joy.” 
 
Written by Alisann of Art by Alisann
Edited by Gail of Digital Expressions and Artful Papers

4 comments:

  1. Another fabulous portrait of a talented artist ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to get to know you better, Jill! You have such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your story Jill. Your mosaic of Emilie has always been a inspiration to me !

    Robin
    ~jarmfarm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jill - so fun to get to know more about you and your wonderful talent!! I love your stuff!! :-))

    ReplyDelete