TAG Treasury Team

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Shop of the Week: MACHEL SPENCE PHOTO



“Machel come inside!”  “ No, I want to be in nature!”  This artist thrives on being in nature.  A Zoologist by training, she cannot stay indoors, when there is so much to learn and see outside.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/72224032/butterfly-print-photograph-nature?ref=shop_home_active_19
https://www.etsy.com/listing/72224032/butterfly-print-photograph-nature?ref=shop_home_active_19

https://www.etsy.com/listing/85436892/butterfly-on-autumn-leaf-print?ref=shop_home_active_8Machel tells us, “I grew up all over the place as my father was in the Army.  We traveled so much I was born in Japan and spent a huge chunk of my childhood in various other countries.  Eventually we landed in Florida where I spent most of my formative years and attended college at the University of Florida,  I received a masters degree in Zoology.  After collage I relocated to Seattle to continue my education and that's where I met and married my husband of 17 years.  We have a 14 year-old daughter whom we adore!”

 

Machel takes her love of nature and photography and creates some amazing works of art.  “The smell of the forest is the best smell in the world and I have honed my skills of finding fungi using all of my senses, I even smell them before I find them now” Machel told us during our interview.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/68230681/mushroom-photograph-mushroom?ref=shop_home_active_6                       https://www.etsy.com/listing/84824804/pholiota-woodland-mushroom-scene?ref=shop_home_active_14
 
When she is not taking photos or learning about different zoological species, she teaches biology three times a week to K-8 grade kids.  Prior to teaching and when her daughter was born she worked at the Seattle Aquarium as an interpreter and bird cephalopod biologist.
 
 I asked Machel how she found her way to Etsy and here is her response.  “I actually started with my seashell art on Etsy many years ago.  Then I switched my shop to photography after I felt confident about my mushroom images.  I had a huge support team through Flickr that pushed me to do it full time.  The transition was pretty scary, but after about 6 months I was selling a print nearly every day!”

Mushrooms are a favorite subject in her work.  My mushroom photography has been featured in Fungi Magazine, Natural History Magazine and several cooking magazines.  I've also been approached my National Geographic about putting a book together but the terms were not to my liking.  That is why Etsy is such a great place to feature my work.  I can make what I love and share it at affordable prices.”
 
 
 
Her favorite words of advice “Do What You Love” and Machels’ wonderful photography sure shows she lives by her words.


 
 
 
 



Interview by Alisann of Art by Alisann

 
 

7 comments:

  1. How nice to learn more about you, Machel, and I am impressed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how intereting and beautiful are all the things i just read! I love Zoology, i adore aquariums and really like mushrooms :))
    Wish you all the best ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Machel, I know that you would enjoy the "Hen Of The Woods" mushrooms that we find this time of year along with the traditional "Morels" of Springtime. I take great delight in them too! So wonderful to read your story :))


    Robin
    ~jarmfarm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Machel - your story is as cool as your fabulous art!! So nice to find out more about you and your loved ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you have a wonderful life, Machel. I love your photos and am happy to learn that you are able to work at what you want in life.

    ReplyDelete