TAG Treasury Team

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Featured Shop of the Week: NHQuiltArts


  Meet Nancy Henry and her husband.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard someone say “quilting is easy, just sew pieces of material together.”  Not so and Nancy’s work shows the attention to detail and extraordinary talent one must have to be a master at quilting. 
 
Her home is in Rochester, NH, but it took her a little time to get there as in her own words: “I grew up, the only child of a single mom, in Seattle.  If I could pick anywhere in the US to retire it would be there!  I went to college at the University of Pennsylvania for Business Administration and met my husband on my very first day of college.  I got married to this wonderful man at 21 and we moved to New Hampshire in 1980.  He began a long career as a university professor of engineering and we raised two boys (now 30 and 33) in this beautiful state.  We now have a daughter-in-law, a 5 year old granddaughter and a 2 year old grandson who are the sparkle in my life.


Nancy has always had a love for fabric, design and creating.  She states “ My favorite thing to make is Life Event Quilts.  I have made several wedding quilts which were also used as canopies for the weddings (Chuppahs), anniversary gifts and even a quilt that a man used to propose to his now-wife.  These quilts become heirlooms and part of the family’s history and I LOVE that!”  You can feel her passion for her quilt creations.  Her attention to detail and design also show in her work.  A Master’s Degree in Accounting sure comes in handy when creating patterns for her quilts as math is essential to the process. 



 Wall Hanging       Queen Quilt









Why does Nancy love being on Etsy?  She says “Having my own Etsy shop has afforded me freedoms that I never dreamed I would need.  An aging family member has needed me to spend big chunks of time away from my home, and last year my younger son was in a devastating motorcycle accident that necessitated me being in New Orleans to care for him for three months.” 



 
She has a full life outside of Etsy with her family as her main focus.  You can find Nancy in the garden, walking their dog or reading.  She embraces each day with an open heart.  And, she has the best boss in the world – herself

Visit Nancy's Etsy shop here: NH Quilt Arts

Written by Alisann of Art by Alisann
Edited by Gail of Digital Expressions and Artful Papers







5 comments:

  1. beautiful work, dear Nancy! love your shop!
    big hugs from romania
    ioana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy it's great to see your smiling face after all these years!

    I've always admired your quilts and you don't have to tell me how hard it is to master the skill because I've tried it. I am lucky to have others in my family who have acquired the talents.

    Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    :))
    Smiles,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy! Lovely to read more about you and see your beautiful smile! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy,
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful story and quilts!

    ReplyDelete