TAG Treasury Team

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Featured Shop of the Week: Latrouvaille and Meoneil

Did you know that there were Hippie Communes in Canada? Some of you may be too young to know about the Hippie Communes of the 60’s and 70’s. But Mary-Ellen can tell us first-hand about her life’s experience since she lived in one for 3 years with her then boyfriend, now husband of 43 years. Her experience took place in Montreal where she was born. She grew up in a typical home and had 4 brothers, she being the only girl. Her love for the Fiber Arts started in her childhood and include sewing, crochet and knitting.

We asked her where her inspirations come from. “My inspiration comes from the need to be creative, a void which needed filling when I retired. Back in the hippie days I started making dolls and knitted animals for a very prestigious store in Montreal. I re-worked the concept upon retirement when someone who had bought a knitted elephant for her son 30+ years ago now wanted one for her granddaughter.
Then I discovered Etsy and opened my shop, Meoneil. My beginning was painfully slow and I considered quitting, but then I discovered the TAG Team (TAGT). I also opened a vintage shop,Latrouvaille and linked them.” She’s been open on Etsy since 2009 and loves it as a hobby.



These are a few of the delightful puppets that can be found in Mary-Ellen's shop.

“From my vintage, I love so many of my Asian treasures. I will pick the knife since it has a great story...” You can read about this item at Antique Knife.

Two of her 4 children once lived in China and Vietnam where she and her husband spend 2 months each year enjoying and learning about the Asian Culture. Those children now live in Frankfurt and Montreal.
We are always amazed about the life and story of each of our artists. Getting to know who they are, where they come from and what they love. Mary-Ellen is a retired high school teacher (34 years) “I taught a huge variety over my career including human biology and architecture, but also home economics, electricity, and a high school engineering course.”
She is the mother of 4 and the grandmother of 3. Her husband is retired from Air Canada. Mary-Ellen is a breast cancer survivor (14 years) . In her own words, “ I so strongly believe in life long learning and social equality. Travel is life's best education. I am an avid reader, and gardener. I do yoga and love to cook. C'est toup (that's it - in French).”


Article written by Alisann of Abees Art Studio, and Sew Alisann

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading more about you Mary ! Love your Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved getting to know more about you Mary-Ellen! In some parts of Toronto, the hippie-feel's still there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i need to implement your style and start to travel more! It is great to get to know you a bit more! you have a fun fabulous shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maril,

      I know that I am very lucky in the travel department. My husband being retired from Air Canada has a lot to do with it. And had my kids not been so adventurous, we might never have made it to Asia. :)

      Delete
  4. Mary-Ellen, you and I are kindred spirits. The glacier lake where I grew up had a hippie community (ashram) a few miles from us and when ever I could sneak away from home, I would canoe to it and have lengthy chats with the women and learn their crafts. They always welcomed my friendship. I loved about their alternative life style & their beliefs. You lived the life I dreamed of. I LOVE your story and love your lively little dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo Jo,

      Again, I have enjoyed a "chat" with you. it would be so fun to meet. I LOVE what you wrote. :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful reading about you Mary. Your puppets have a great love energy visually. I can just imagine how young children must adore them. You are a free spirit and must be a magical grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary-Ellen you seem to be a fighter in life and done so many things! We love reading about you! All the best to your family including children and grandchildren! Love from Cyprus, Maria and Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry-Ellen it's so nice "to know" you through your story. I love your cute puppets!

    Wishing you health and happiness

    Efrat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merci for sharing your wonderful story. You're so talented and very gifted. I love the fact that we are both travelers and in love with architecture. Bonne journée!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hats are off to you, Mary-Ellen, for such a long marriage! That is a talent in itself. I enjoy your shops and am happy to learn about who you are as a person.

    ReplyDelete