TAG Treasury Team

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Featured Shop of the Week: Gaffney Girl Studio

What does an artist do who lives in South Carolina, who married her high school sweetheart 35 years after they graduated from high school, loves to cook, garden, paint, sew, and craft do with her talents? Cindy creates the most amazing pincushions, fancy pins, jewelry and unique art pieces in both her Etsy shops Gaffney Girl Studio and Seven Gypsies Jewelry.


A “Southern Girl by Accident” Cindy lived the earlier part of her life in Indiana. But moving to the south – it feels like home. When asked how she spends her “spare” time Cindy told us “I work from home so my days are spent gardening, weeding, herding wiener dogs, baking, and creating new items for my Etsy stores. I love to go shopping for those special little touches that I add to my pincushions and other items in my store; which means I often frequent antique malls, fabric stores, craft stores, second hand stores, and thrift stores. What's not to love, right? I love the challenge of finding bargains that I can create with. I often say that I'm a hoarder with better organizational skills!”


Cindy began her love for all things beautiful when she worked at a flower shop as a teenager. She went on to own a floral shop and was very successful. We asked her how she knew the floral business was right for her. “During my senior year of high school I got a job in a greenhouse and then transitioned into a position in a flower shop where I got on the job training. It seemed like a natural fit for me as my Mom was always quite the gardener and we always had flowers in the yard and house no matter how challenging it was for her as the head of the family. So it was natural that I would love growing and working with flowers. I am an FTD certified master designer which means I can make anything from a corsage to a parade float. In 1994, I was in the top 4 floral designers in the Midwest as determined by a floral design competition.” With a background and credentials like that Cindy does get our attention. What an amazing resume of experience and knowledge.

What drives Cindy, is very simple “leave it as you found it”. “I am passionate about growing healthy, clean, organic food for my family. I am passionate about being as green as possible which includes recycling, water conservation, and composting. My husband and I want to be kind to the Earth and leave the smallest carbon footprint possible. It's my belief that we should leave this place in better shape than when it was first entrusted to us.” Her work certainly reflects that as she makes many of her artistic creations from upcycled items. A great example is her pincushions which are made with vintage Jello cups. A perfectly clever way to present such beautiful works of art. Almost too pretty to use they are functional as well as beautiful.



Words of advice from Cindy: The best advice that I can share comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." In other words, treat people with kindness, love, and respect and they will return it to you.


Come by and visit her shops. You can spend time just strolling through her colorful and beautiful works of art. And be sure to say hello to Cindy on her Facebook page as well Gaffney Girl Studio

Article written by Alisann of Art by Alisann

13 comments:

  1. nice to see your beautiful face, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know more about you Cindy ! Love your shop !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice getting to know you Cindy! Now I understand the floral inspiration in your pieces! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful story and look into your life, Cindy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great to put a face and a personality to the wonderful creations that we feature in treasuries. Your work is very imaginative and the floral background of your experience is being put to good work.

    :) Mary-Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, I love your story and your art. It's delightful to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabbulous to finally see Cindy's beautiful face! I am so impressed by her accomplishments and I have been a long time fan! I have a few of her great treauries in my home and plan to have more...It was really awesome to read all about her! Donna;)xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome get to know you Dear Cindy :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy you are adorable! I am trying to imagine you working on a parade float and that thought makes me smile :)

    Best always,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Love your story, Cindy! You have it all together. Your art is absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful things! love what you do:)
    Ioana

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice to get to know you better, and my favorite part is to know that your life centers around the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have always loved your pin cushions and your beauty reflects in them.

    ReplyDelete